Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Re-Cycling my Seoul

Since the weather warmed up in mid-April, I've been back on my bike.  I ride 15 minutes to work almost everyday, except when it rains.  I've done two longer rides too, about 30~40 km. I enjoy getting outside of Seoul for a bit of fresh -well, fresher air. There is a subway line called the Jungang line that you take your bike on the train.  The first time I ride my bike from my house outside of Seoul and took the subway back.  The second time I took the subway out  an hour and a half and then rode back into Seoul.  I think I like the second method, since I can get to the quiet river town of Yangpyeong quickly. The road is really flat for most of the way so it's easy to cover distance quickly.  My legs are slowly getting stronger so that even on slightly steeper inclines, I can just shift downgear and keep petaling.  
When I was in middle school, I REALLY hated exercise.  I like riding my bike, but after I got into that car accident when I was 14, I didn't ride a bike for several years.  I realize how much I've missed it.  I think riding a bike is much more fun than other forms of transportation. Your speed is totally dependent on your effort and physical fitness. I like the personal challenge - no one is forcing me to keep going. I keep petaling because I WANT TO. 
I want to keep getting into better shape, so someday I can ride for a week or more.  

stopping for a photo op, just outside of Seoul
South Han River, where 3 river forks meet




No comments: