Thursday, August 25, 2011

Good Impressions

Today was the first day at my new job. I'm starting on my THIRD year-long contract here in Seoul, and - to follow the cliche - third time is definitely the charm.

In my first year in Korea at Moondeok Elementary, I just barely got my feet wet - I struggled with language barriers, culture and work culture differences, and finding my social niche. At the beginning of my teaching I thought I had to be perfect; since I'm a native speaker, I should be an authority on the language, right? Nope, totally wrong... I learned a bit too late when it's right to admit that you're wrong. Though I made mistakes, I don't regret the past - I learn from it. Looking back, I think I'm a lot wiser from those mistakes. Within a year, I had learned to read and speak some Korean, explored the countryside, and formed life-changing, significant relationships ( namely my boyfriend Donghee :)

In my second year on the job at Eunhye Elementary, I learned the value of a co-teacher - simply because I didn't have one~! I taught 28 hours a week, without anyone else in the class. I wanted full autonomy in the classroom? Well, I got it, and let me tell you, it tastes bitter.

And now... round 3, batter up! This time up to the plate is.... Sacred Heart Middle School! Comparing to my previous schools, this school and teaching situation seems much better, even from the surface-level observations of first-day. The location is within 2 km of my house. I can take one bus that runs from the front of my house to close to the school. My office is my new renovated classroom, and there is a nice lounge for the English teachers adjacent to my classroom. I have four co-teachers who all speak English well. Students in the 2nd and 3rd years are divided into ability levels. The top class is "Justice" followed by "Patience", "Love", and "Peace" at the bottom. Students seemed active and attentive (except for maybe the 3 year low level Peace class). Overall, a very positive first impression.

I'm also determined to make a good impression at this school. I know the meaning of work and the value of a paycheck (specially now when I've been unemployed for 6 weeks). I came to Korea to work, so that's what I should do - will the full strength of my mind, heart, and Seoul - er, soul

;)

No comments: